8 Things You Need to Know About Wearing a Surgical Mask
If you choose to wear a surgical mask to help protect yourself from infectious droplets that may occur when people cough, sneeze, laugh, or talk, then here are some important things you need to know:
- Make sure the mask has no tears or torn straps.
- Secure ties properly according to instruction depending on mask style.
- Do not leave a mask hanging off one ear or hanging around your neck.
- Remove the mask if the mask gets wet or soiled.
- To remove the mask safely:
- Do not touch the front of the mask, as it is contaminated after use.
- For ear loop masks: remove the mask from the side with your head tilted forward handling only the loops.
- For tied masks: remove by handling only the ties and untie the bottom tie first and then the top tie.
- Properly dispose of the mask.
- Wash your hands before applying and after removing a surgical mask.
- Do not reuse a mask; toss it after wearing it once.
You can also protect yourself by doing the following:
- Avoid people who have symptoms of acute respiratory infections
- Wash your hands frequently
- Avoid touching your face